Monday, September 29, 2008

NEGRO PLEASE



[WISDOM FROM THE SELF PROCLAIMED MARTIAN......]

You’ve been documented as saying that you would charge your sister [$75,000 for a verse], is that a true statement?
Hell yeah. The first rule in business is there is no emotion, there is no love. It’s business.

How hard is it now to keep that same credo?
It’s not hard at all. It’s easier. It’s easier to tell you no if you about to come at me with that. Check Billboard, I’m number one right now. Respect me right now, wait for later. You want me on a song that bad respect that. I’m that nigga. You want that nigga on your song, pay for it like it’s that nigga. You go in the store and it’s that jacket that you want, leather, mink or whatever, it’s that real shit, though. Pay for it, get it.

Every MC that’s great, outside of sales, has had to have blood on their hands from dealing with other MCs. If you look at our generation, you look at Eminem, Jay-Z and Nas, they have all had these epic battles. Do you feel like you’re missing that from your arsenal?
I’m the new-age artist. I don’t beef. I do the song, smile, do a few dance moves, put on nice clothes, wear cologne. I don’t want to beef with you. I don’t want my music to have to go towards how I feel about you or how I feel about your music. That’s not music. Music is supposed to make the listener feel a certain way. That’s what I’m dedicated to, making your heart, making your mind, feel a certain way when you hear me. And not making a some person feel a certain way when they hear me.

What are you reading right now to help you…I don’t read a damn thing. That’s why I don’t write music. I’m too cool to be reading and writing…I’m a very intelligent nigga. I can read like a motherfucka. I don’t want motherfuckas to think I’m illiterate.

You’re in college so…
I don’t read, other than that shit.

But we talking about books for leisure.
Nah, I’ve done that like once or twice. It’s just not my thing. I’m not into made-up stories.

You know how people get together and they like, “Yo, you read…”I’m not even in that conversation circle. That would be crazy, I can’t answer nothing so why would I sit there and talk? I ain’t read no books. I sit and watch ESPN all day. I can tell you what happened in sports. I do what floats my boat. If you trying to figure out where I get this talk, that’s me. I’m born with that. I don’t have no brothers, no sisters. My brother is 6-years-old. My dad ain’t never had one of those. And the one I called pops, he passed. My momma, she do her cooking thing. I’m an intelligent nigga,. I just refuse to be dumb.

Is it because you were surrounded by…
No, ‘cuz my father made me this way. My father is God. I thank him everyday and night. I think I’m the perfect example of…of…pure. Meaning not planned, not scheduled, not practiced. You know how white people practice to be smart, intelligent and all that shit? You know as black people we like a certain child, a certain way, and all that will have you believing that you have to do that. Just like a motherfucka might think you have to train to be a great football player, and some nigga just walk on the team and catch 100 passes. Now we know this nigga forever, know what I mean? Shit like that so, I am the definition of pure. I have no reasons why I am the way I am. -Datwon Thomas

No comments: