Friday, February 6, 2009

ETTA TRYING TO CLEAN THINGS UP AND DOES A HORRIBLE JOB AT IT



Singer Etta James says she was just joking when she told a Seattle concert crowd she “can’t stand” Beyoncé and poked fun of President Obama. James tells New York’s Daily News, “I didn’t really mean anything. Even as a little child, I’ve always had that comedian kind of attitude. …That’s probably what went into it.”

She added that the crowd liked it, so she kept on rolling. “Nobody was getting mad at me in Seattle. They were all laughing, and it was funny.” She said the jokes were “not from a vicious place.”

But James did admit she was miffed about not being invited to perform her signature song for Obama’s first dance with his wife on inauguration night. James was “feeling left out of something that was basically mine, that I had done every time you look around,” she said. And while she said she liked Beyoncé’s performance, when asked if she thought she could have done better, James answered, “I think so. That’s a shame to say that."

UPDATE****
In another interview she repeats it was kind of a joke but:
James says that she takes a lot of pride her signature song, and would have liked to have an opportunity to sing the song at the inaugural ball, where Beyoncé performed “She got up there and sang it and didn’t give me a chance to sing ‘At Last’.”

TRANSLATION: Damn who recorded that ish. Now my publicist and Matthew Knowles are blowing up my phone.

source

No comments: